Spanish retailers in sustainability urge

September 18, 2012, 4:11 pm

Spanish retailers need to engage all stakeholders if tuna sustainability objectives are to be met, according to the International Seafood Sustainability Foundation (ISSF).

Speaking at a Spanish supermarket event organised by ISSF in Madrid, president Susan Jackson (pictured) spoke of methods the industry needed to take up to protect tuna stocks and reduce the impact fishing has on the environment.

“It is vital to our sustainability objectives that we engage all stakeholders. Retailers are a key part of the supply chain just as fishers and processors are and we are committed to providing them access to the latest information on these issues.”

ISSF figures revel that 86% of the global tuna catch comes from healthy stocks while the remaining 14% is fished from stocks that have declined due to overfishing.

Leading tuna brands and ISSF members Grupo Frinsa, Grupo Conservas Garavilla, Jealsa Rianxeira and Salica Industria Alimentaria have already committed to sourcing tuna that is fished by vessels that have adopted best-in-class practices, according to the federation.

Improved techniques approved by ISSF include ensuring that vessels have a policy against shark finning and mandatory annual training for skippers.

“We are at a critical point and the time is right to take action in order to protect tuna resources for future generations. There is still much work to be done. Tuna is important to the economy and health of Spain and it is vital that the country’s most prominent brands and fishing companies continue to demonstrate a commitment to improve responsible fishing practices,” Jackson said.

Like this article? Sign up to our newsletter

Sign up to our newsletters:

* indicates required
Daily newsletters
Breaking news
Weekly seafood jobs alert
Weekly newsletters
Email format